Monday, November 13, 2006

A camera for all seasons...

Last week I went bushwalking, and as I am wont to do, I took my camera along. This was my first bushwalk carrying my medium format camera and my Manfrotto 190V tripod. I also took along my little point-and-shoot digital camera, and boy am I glad I did.

Now, the Mamiya 645 is a wonderful camera, and the Manfrotto 190 is a great tripod, but together, they're bloody heavy, and somewhat slow to set up. Which means they're not suited to grabbing a quick photo while walking along. The digital is another story, though.

Kept in a little waterproof bag hanging from my pack straps, the camera was always handy, and didn't require me to take my pack off if I wanted to grab a photo. So, my conclusion: The combination of medium format camera for taking photos in the morning or evening, and the digital for taking photos while walking was ideal. All I need to do now is get fitter so my pack doesn't seem so damn heavy...

1 comment:

Mad Owl said...

then you need to carry the battery pack and a laptop and filters and scanner..and THEn you can consider taking the sleeping bag and a little water,and and maybe some food...
al seriousness aside,when i consider the gear that ansell adams used to go with......we've got it easy..admitedly ansell adams got the shots that people are still talking about today.