Friday, March 02, 2007

I've seen the Light (meter)...


Since purchasing my medium format camera last year, I've been coming to grips with using a light meter. Given my limited budget, I've had to make do with a small Sekonic L-8 meter which, while it does the job, has a few limitations.

The main problems with this particular meter are that it is purely an averaging meter, and does not have the ability to take spot readings. It also tends to be a bit inaccurate at low light levels, as a number of under exposed photos can attest to. As a result, I've been on the lookout for a new light meter.

I finally found what I was after this week, and today I took delivery of the light meter shown in the photo above. It's a Pentax digital spot meter, as used by the likes of Ansell Adams. I was a bit worried about how easy it would be to use, but as it turns out, I worried needlessly.

Despite that fact that the meter did not come with a manual or any instructions, I had figured out how to use it within a few seconds. I'm now looking forward to getting out and using it, and hopefully I'll have fewer issues with incorrect light meter readings in future.

No comments: