Monday, August 28, 2006

New Blog, New Toys...

Having taken a break from photography for the last couple of months, the shutterbug has bitten again. I normally keep a journal of my thoughts on each film I shoot, plus whatever thoughts are going through my mind at the time. This time I thought I'd share my photos and thoughts on a blog.

What better way of starting a new blog than talking about my new toy(s). This week I made a decision to move away from shooting 35mm to Medium Format. It's been something I've thought about for a while, but I've never really been game enough to fork out so much money for something, which, when it comes down to it, is a bit of an experiment. Fortunately for me, a friend pointed out a fantastic Mamiya M645 going cheap on eBay, which I am now the proud owner of.

Having taken it out on the weekend for the first time, I can say I'm looking forward to taking a lot of photos with this camera. There's a certain amount of discipline required with the Mamiya, where I could cut corners with my previous camera (a Canon EOS300, which has been sold to pay for the Mamiya). This in turn has forced me to think more about what it is that I'm doing, which can only be a good thing.

Of course, a medium format camera is a lot heavier than a 35mm one, and as a result, I've also invested in a new tripod, a Manfrotto 190V, which I'm eagerly waiting for in the mail. All I need now is a heap of free time and good weather, so that I can get out and go walking (hmm, might need to increase my fitness, so that I'm able to carry all the extra gear...)

No comments: