Sunday, September 17, 2006

The Best Laid Plans...

Something that I'm coming to discover, is that to consistently get good photos you need to plan ahead. Sure, if you keep a camera on you at all times, if you do see something worthwhile, you can get a photo, often quite a good one. But your chances of success are going to be so much better if you do your research, and, as per one of my earlier posts, you're in the right place at the right time.

How much planning do you need to do? Well, that depends... Often, just knowing where the sun will be at a particular time will be enough (there's no point trying to get a photo of the sun setting over a nice stretch of water if the sun sets in the opposite direction), but it's possible to go into a lot more detail if you want.

As an example, I've just started planning a bushwalk I want to do in a couple of months. I've got some ideas of what I want to photograph, in particular I want photos from a particular lake around sunset and sunrise. So, in order to get those photos, I'm going to need to camp fairly close by, to save getting lost in the dark, seeing as there's no tracks in this particular area. Knowing that I want to get photos with the surrounding mountains bathed in light will determine which sides of this particular lake will offer me the best vantage points.

All of this thinking has been done with the aid of a map, and a basic knowledge of where the sun will be rising/setting. Of course, the chances are that my preconceived notions aren't going to be spot on, but the theory is that with the majority of the thinking already done, I'll be better prepared to change my plans according to the conditions when I'm taking photos. We'll see in a couple of months whether or not I'm right, I guess...

No comments: