Monday, January 01, 2007

A New Year Beckons...

Well, I've just seen in the new year in the best way I can imagine, 4 days of bushwalking, and taking photos. One of the many things I've decided I am going to do more of this year is get out and take photos. The last few days have been a very good start, having taken about 80 photos between my digital and medium format cameras.

It's been pointed out that for a blog about photography there are very few photos being posted here. In an attempt to rectify this situation, and to encourage me to take more photos in the first place, I've decided to post a "Photo of the Week". I'll be posting (or at least trying to post) one of my photos here each week.


To get things rolling, I'll start with a photo taken only 2 days ago while bushwalking. This is one of those photos which just happened by accident. I'd camped near some small pools of water, and I happened to notice that the nearby pencil pines had shed their needles into the lakes, and had created some interesting patterns.

Unfortunately the reflection of the sun was causing problems, and in order to see the detail I needed a polarising filter to cut out the reflections from the water, something which I did not have. Purely by accident, I noticed that one of the pencil pines was shading the water in such a way that the patterns and colours were clearly visible in its shadow. So, purely by chance, I ended up with the photo I wanted, being the detail of the pine needles in the water, with the added bonus of an interesting reflection from the pine tree itself. If only all photos were as easy to come by as this...

1 comment:

Mad Owl said...

A new year , indeed, and a fitting subject. A nice textured feel to the image. very nice. well spotted.